I read a news report that the reported incidents of domestic abuse in Croatia is on the increase. That is abuse of women by men. Reported to the police.

Now, I am not for domestic abuse of anyone by anyone.

I am glad to see the reported incidents of abuse are up. It is better than, say, the incidents of women telling their neighbors the bruises on their face are from falling down the stairs or hitting their head on a door.

I hope that something good comes out of reporting abuse to the police. Ok, I know it won't stop abuse between two people. Not that I have been hit, or hit anyone. Relationships have a dynamic of their own, and sometimes, well, we don't really act in our own self-interest. And I have read that accusation, shame, humiliation, and violence go together. It is a dynamic spread across both parties. And it can be hard to see it.

Perhaps if it is a crime, and it is enforced, there might be some hesitancy to beat your spouse. Perhaps it is just enough to say, "I think it is a good idea that the police can be called on sexual harassment or domestic violence," and not have to rationalize it or think of the assumed consequences of it. Yes, indeed, it is enough to be glad that people can't beat each other in their homes and that people can work without harassment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lynn St Sirup Pancake Potluck

Homemade Soup (Dissertation excerpt)

New Year